top of page

U.S. Department of Education Accreditation


USDE accreditation is not necessary for the theological degrees in which we offer. Individuals seeking employment in government-licensed positions such as public-school teachers, state-licensed psychologists or psychiatrists, and non-church-related counselors will more than likely need USDE accredited degrees. Generally speaking, people working in ministry positions do not need a USDE accredited degree. If you are pursuing education at LSE with the intent of obtaining employment or for some other reason, you should check with that organization BEFORE applying for enrollment in LSE. LSE assumes no liability of any kind.

Exemption Statement

Degree programs of study offered by Legacy School of Equipping Bible College have been declared exempt from the requirements for licensure, under provisions of North Carolina General Statutes Section (G.S.) 116-15 (d) for exemption from licensure with respect to religious education. Exemption from licensure is not based upon assessment of program quality under established licensing standards.

Academic Acceptance

Legacy School of Equipping Bible College qualifies for religious exempt status from the Degree-Granting Institutions Act for the credit-bearing courses that comprise the Biblical Ministry Degree Certificate. Prospective students and inquirers are encouraged to contact state degree authorization authorities for a clear explanation of the acceptance and restriction of an American Seminary degree in each particular state.

The real advantage of a degree in “Christian Ministry” over a secular degree is that the graduate can work for Church, Para-church, Christian Social services organizations, Christian education schools and programs, and in Christian Counseling or Education Ministry programs.

The purpose of accreditation is to:
1. Certify that an institution has met an established standard of excellence
2. Assist prospective students in identifying reputable institutions, which offer degree programs that will meet their needs and goals
3. Allow institutions to evaluate the acceptability of transfer credits into their own curricula programs In the United States, accreditation of colleges, universities and seminaries is a voluntary process with accreditation granted by private, non-governmental agencies. Governmental agencies do not provide theological or ministry accreditation.

Government-recognized accreditation is not necessary for the religious vocations in which we are equipping our students and people working in ministry positions. Our students are not seeking a government-accredited degree. We do not prepare our students for secular work but; rather, we seek to provide a sound theological standing from which our students may fulfill their divine purpose and calling.

Disclaimer Statement

Our courses meet the requirements established by many private, independent, and professional associations. Various regionally or nationally accredited Christian colleges, Universities, and Seminaries throughout the United States may accept transfer students, credits and degrees; however, transferring of credits to another institution is at the discretion of the receiving institution.


Currently, 28 states exempt religious schools or bible colleges from their higher education licensing, certification, or accreditation process. Among the states that exempt religious colleges, the statutes vary based on (1) the types of institutions that qualify for an exemption, (2) the programs of study the institutions offer, (3) the degrees or diplomas conferred, and (4) the filing requirements.

Legacy School of Equipping Bible College is seeking accreditation and membership with a nationally recognized accrediting institution to award certificates and associates, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees.

The U.S. Department of Education, however; states that accreditation itself is a voluntary process. Many high-quality, legitimate, and legal Colleges and Universities and other institutions of higher education operate today without accreditation.

There is no mandate by federal law for a School, College, or University to be accredited. Many good schools are not accredited. Also, each accreditor has its own unique standards and, thus, there is no national consistency in institutional accreditation. Accreditation in the United States is awarded by non-US governmental agencies. Again, accreditation is strictly a voluntary option in the United States.

“The United States has no Federal Ministry of Education or other centralized authority exercising single national control over postsecondary educational institutions in this country. The States assume varying degrees of control over education, but, in general, institutions of higher education are permitted to operate with considerable independence and autonomy. As a consequence, American educational institutions can vary widely in the character and quality of their programs.

In order to ensure a basic level of quality, the practice of accreditation arose in the United States as a means of conducting non-governmental, peer evaluation of educational institutions and programs. Private educational associations of regional or national scope have adopted criteria reflecting the qualities of a sound educational program and have developed procedures for evaluating institutions or programs to determine whether or not they are operating at basic levels of quality.” (U.S. Dept. Education website)

Student Complaints

The Licensure Division of the University of North Carolina General Administration serves as the official state entity to receive complaints concerning post-secondary institutions that are authorized to operate in North Carolina. Legacy School of Equipping Bible College is required to provide information to students concerning the following student complaint process for the state of North Carolina:


If students are unable to resolve a complaint through the institution’s grievance procedures, they may review the Student Complaint Policy, complete the Student Complaint Form (PDF) located on the State Authorization webpage
at, and submit the complaint to or to the following mailing address:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina General Administration 910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688

bottom of page